The WNBA–New Orleans Chapter seeks member volunteers for three positions: Vice President, Secretary, and Social Media Chair. Interested? Check out the position descriptions below, and let us know where you see yourself!
1. Keep up-to-date on Chapter activities in order to substitute for President as necessary.
2. Handle special projects as assigned by President.
3. Presumed successor to President, subject to nomination to presidency by nominating committee and confirmation by vote by membership.
1. Create and distribute meeting notices to all chapter members. Email local newspapers (ex: Gambit, Advocate) to get meetings on the community event calendar.
2. After agenda items have been gathered for each, secretary will collate items and make copies of agenda for the meeting.
3. Take minutes at board and Chapter meetings, including action minutes; send to president for review; distribute to appropriate individuals and/or group.
4. Administer Chapter email account.
Social Media Chair
1. Supervise, administer, and/or edit Chapter’s Facebook and/or Twitter accounts. (The admin. and editing can be delegated to other committee members.)
2. Present reports, when needed, at meetings; encourage members to notify the chair about books, events, and activities which feature their work so that it can be posted on Chapter accounts.
3. Liaise with committee members working on other media, ex: Chapter website.
From WNBA-NOLA President Andrea Panzeca: “The time commitment is usually a few hours per week, though it can vary. During busier times, I remember getting to know members of chapters around the country, both in the boardroom and on the rooftop bar, at the national meeting in Washington DC last June. Since that time, each time Lisa Lucas announced National Book Award nominations and winners, I remember meeting her at the WNBA Award ceremony in her honor. Each week, when I tuned in to watch the USA series Dare Me, I remembered meeting Megan Abbott at the Pinckley Prize ceremony, where she was honored for Distinguished Body of Work. But even more memorable than these glitzy times, more special, are the countless laughs, fascinating conversations, and yes, even (especially) champagne bottles I’ve shared with WNBA–New Orleans members. Even our virtual board meeting was pretty fun!
The Women’s National Book Association, though over 100 years old, is timely and important. Serving on the board of the New Orleans Chapter, I’ve found the effort rewarding and enriching. I hope you’ll consider joining us.”
For more information, firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo Caption: WNBA National Meeting, June 2019, Washington DC. L-R, Top row: Rachelle Yousuf (National President) Caitlin Morrow (former National Membership Chair) Natalie Obando (National VP) Laurel Stokes (NYC President). Bottom row: Andrea Panzeca (NO President)